Friday, February 20, 2009

Thoughts

First let me say that I don't have a recipe to publish because I seldom use recipes. I start with the basics, toss in what sounds good and taste, taste, taste, until I get it right. So I will share some of the little gems that I have discovered along the way that make my life easier in the kitchen.

1) Aldi - shop there and save more $$ than you will anywhere else.

a. Clancy's chips are let salty than leading brands and very good.
b. Get your milk there...you won't get it for less.
c. Try the Appleton Turkey Ham that you slice yourself for healthy sandwiches and get the center cut ham steak to warm in a pan and serve with a starch and veggie. My kids love it.
d. Get your shrimp there and your salmon. It comes in individually wrapped fillets. I broil them with lemon pepper and stir sour cream, lemon juice, and more lemon pepper for the top.
e. Look for Sesame Orange Chicken in the freezer section. It's a microwavable Chinese dish that is perfect for two or three people. Everyone fights over it here.
f. The Kirkwood frozen fried chicken is the closest I've found to KFC.
g. Also, you'll never make another pie once you try their deep dish and Chocolate Pecan Silk.

2) Walmart

a. Tyson Honey Breast Tenders are great for the kids. I just put a little canola oil in a pan and fry these little goodies. They get a nice crispy, sweet shell and are very moist inside. Preston likes to dip them in Ranch and Grant just nibbles on them. Also great movie munchies!

b. If you are trying to get more raw veggies and like a kick, look for Salsa Ranch salad dressing. I buy two at a time and use it with my carrots, celery, and cucumbers as a snack. I would be making many more unhealthy choices if it weren't for this stuff!

Okie Dokie! I'll share more gems as I find them.

3 comments:

  1. LeeLee,

    I think you cook like a few of us. I'm notorious for not measuring. I have to guess measurements when I write it down for someone, give a disclaimer and pray, pray, pray, that it's close enough.

    Isn't there a shrimp scampi in the freezer section of Aldi's you like too?

    I 100% agree with the milk and chips and would like to add, not only are the chips less salty, but I think less greasy too. As one who has a weakness for chips they are good and the price is right!

    Also, my guys like the cereal and the price fits our budget. It's amazing what cereal costs these days. My two snackers (especially the big one) go through a lot of cereal.

    Thanks for the tip on the fried chicken. I love fried chicken, but who has time right now? We'll have to give it a try.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh yes, boil your own pasta and saute that shrimp and scampi sauce. It is rich in butter and garlic, so I always save and freeze the remaining sauce for another round of shrimp and pasta.

    ReplyDelete